Week 1 in Oxford

This first week has been great! I got here in Sunday around 9, but check in wasn’t until 2, so I spent the day with some classmates exploring the city. At first you just admire the architecture, but then it hits you that you are surrounded by buildings hundreds of years old. In fact we found out that Oxford was founded way before the Americas were discovered!

On Monday I was still jet-lagged but I still went around the city and just settled in. I tried really hard to stay awake the whole day so I would sleep at night and adjust my schedule, but before lunch I was just so tired I had to take a nap. Later I realized that was a good decision becauseĀ I went with my group to an epic scavenger hunt that had us walking all around the city just to end up in a beautiful restaurant right by the Thames. It took about 2 hours to get there and 1 to get back, that night I fell asleep immediately despite of my earlier nap.

Tusday was my first day of class and it was really interesting. I’m taking the Great War and 20th century history, and being in a country that was deeply affected by the conflict gives a whole new meaning to what I’m learning. Later that day I went shopping for souvenirs right around Brasenose, but at 3 I went with some OU students to London to see Hamlet at the Globe! We had bought the tickets while we were still in the U.S. so we were excited to see it, but as fate would have it, traffic was so bad by the time we made it to London it was 7:30 and we were too late to get our tickets. Yet we made the best of our situation and went around the city for a bit before heading back to Oxford.

On Wednesday, for breakfast, we had a special treat which was pain-au-chocolat. Its a very simple pastry with two chocolate sticks in it but it’s really delicious. After class, I went to a museum with my roommate and some other classmates. It was the Ashmolean, which had an impressive collection of artifacts, paintings, and jewelry.

Thursday was the last class for the week and we started watching the film Joyeux Noel, which was about the Christmas truce of 1914 between the German soldiers and the Allies. Unfortunately we only got half way through when class ended, so I have to wait until next Tuesday to finish watching it. After class we had lunch and once again we spent the day exploring the city, but that afternoon was the England v. Croatioa soccer match for the World Final, and so to experience it like locals we went to a nearby pub and had fish and chips as we watched the game. Sadly, even though England had a good start, they lost the match.

On Friday I went to London again to really get to know it and I’ve spent the weekend here with a family friend. We’re staying at a hostel and it feels like every moment we’re awake we’re just walking to a new museum or location. However, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m getting to see so much here in London and every day is an adventure, whether we are navigating the Tube or discovering Tower Bridge. Tomorrow I’m going to drop of my friend at Heathrow and head back to Oxford, ready for my second week.

Arriving at Heathrow
Making the best of having missed the performance of Hamlet
With my family friend in the Chelsea Physic Gardens in London

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *